hiring a skip
Skip Hire London
Hiring a skip can be a great solution for managing and disposing of waste during a home renovation, spring cleaning or a commercial project. However, it’s important to be aware of certain factors when choosing the right size and type of skip, as well as understanding the regulations and restrictions that come with it.
In these short guides, we provide you with valuable advice on how to make the most of your skip hire experience and ensure that your project goes smoothly. From choosing the right size and type of skip, to understanding the regulations and restrictions, we will cover it all to make sure you make the best decision for your waste management needs.
Skip Hire Permits
Which Skip Size?
How Hiring A Skip Works...
Skip Hire Permits
Skip hire permits may be required any time that you are placing a skip on public, ie: non-private, property. If you believe you may need a Hire permit, let us know at the time of your inquiry and we will process the application. All fees are the responsibility of the customer, and are non-refundable.
In most areas that we service, Skip Hire London is responsible for the acquisition of the Hire permit, however this will need to be confirmed depending on your location.
Private Property: There is no requirement for a Skip Hire license if the Skip is being positioned directly on your property, such as a Driveway.
You can’t put a skip on the pavement. You don’t need a skip licence if you’re putting the skip entirely on private land.
You may need to put safety lights and markings on or around the skip. This could include:
- reflective markings
- traffic cones
- night-time safety lamps
- the name and telephone number of the skip hire company
Contact your local council to find exact rules for lights and markings in your area. Further information can be found at the .Gov website.
Which Skip size is right for you...
Choosing the right size of skip for your project is crucial in ensuring that your waste management needs are met in an efficient and cost-effective manner. Here are a few things to consider when choosing the right size skip for your project:
Volume of waste: The first and most important factor to consider is the volume of waste you expect to generate. Consider the type and size of items you will be disposing of, and estimate the amount of space they will take up in the skip.
Duration of project: The length of time you will be generating waste will also affect the size of skip you need. If the project is short-term, a smaller skip may be sufficient, while a longer project may require a larger skip to accommodate the increased volume of waste.
Accessibility: Consider the location of the skip and whether it will be placed on private or public property. A smaller skip may be more suitable if access is limited or restricted.
Regulations: Be aware of local regulations regarding skip placement and size. Some areas may have restrictions on the size of skips that can be placed on public property.
Cost-effective: It is important to choose a skip size that is cost-effective. A skip that is too small may require multiple trips for waste disposal, while a skip that is too large may result in wasted space and unnecessary cost.
In general, it’s always better to choose a slightly bigger skip than a smaller one, as this will ensure that you have enough space for all of your waste and don’t have to pay for an additional skip. Skip Hire London is happy to help further with the choosing of your skip size.
How hiring a skip with Skip Hire London works...
We strive to ensure that hiring a skip through Skip Hire London is both easy and seamless, and have multiple methods of contact for customers, depending on their preference.
To begin hiring a skip in the Greater London area, follow the simple process below.
- Call, email, or complete the online form, and let us know which size you require, the type of waste you are expecting, and your required delivery and collection dates. Same and next day deliveries are possible depending on availability, so feel free to get in touch at any time.
- We’ll give you a highly competitive quotation, and if everything suits your needs we’ll take payment, confirm the delivery details, and get the ball rolling with your new skip hire.
- If you need to leave your skip on a road, we’ll obtain permission from the local council through a Skip Hire License.
- Your skip will be delivered by professional and experienced members of the Skip Hire London team.
- Fill up your skip with your waste! Make sure to follow our guidelines regarding suitable materials, and avoid depositing hazardous materials in the skip.
- We’ll arrive to collect your skip at the agreed date, and take the contents for processing, recycling where possible.
- Should you have any further questions at any point, our knowledgeable team are only a phone call, or email away!